Eva Leger's Reviews > Leonardo, the Terrible Monster

Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: julias-books
Read on April 04, 2011

I'm afraid I just may be the only person not a fan of Mo Willems . Just like good old Shel Silverstein , he just doesn't impress me. Or my daughter to a lesser extent. Had I seen that this was by Willems I probably wouldn't have even brought it home honestly. That being said, it isn't as bad as City Dog, Country Frog .
The artwork with the monsters is the best part of the book and nothing beautiful could be said about that. They're okay but they looked slopped together. Like Willems knew no one would question, everyone would love, so here you go.
I'm not a fan of books with so little text. Granted, there are *some* books out there that are meaningful with little text. Books that I have and would again pay for and spend my time on. But most just don't cut it. It feels to me as if the author is slacking and trying to get a quick buck. I can see no reason why this couldn't have the average amount of writing to go along with the monsters. A story perhaps.
One double page spread has the following words - ooops - word:
"Sam." For all you slow folks out there that means - ONE WORD IN TWO PAGES. Uh-uh. Another double page spread has this following text:
"That's why."
Well, okay.
I can say this. I can say that this book served a purpose in my family because it proved to me - happily - that my daughter needs more to be entertained. I highly doubt we'll read anything else by this dude again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leonardo, the Terrible Monster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie Shel Silverstein did write some great songs though.

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I have heard that from more than a few people. I have one friend who loves Silverstein and many more who really like most or all of his poems/books.
I just can't seem to get into him at all but I've never really gone beyond the few books we always hear about.