Janice's Reviews > Caleb's Crossing

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine  Brooks

Jun 14, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, favorites-of-2011
Read from May 29 to June 09, 2011

Geraldine Brooks has become one of very favorite authors. I loved People of the Book, and Year of Wonders. Now Caleb's Crossing: A Noveljoins those earlier works as one of my all-time-favorites. This book is rich in historical detail, telling the story of Caleb Cheeshahteaumauk, the first Native American to graduate from Harvard, in 1665. Although little is known about this young man, Ms. Brooks has done diligent research, and then created other wonderful characters and a story that seems very true to the time and place. The only fiction I have yet to read by this author is March, for which she won the Pulitzer; I hope to read it very soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caleb's Crossing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Charlene Intriago I have many books to read but will be starting this one tomorrow. What do you think of it thus far?

Charlene Intriago I like your review.

Janice Thanks, Charlene. I struggle with writing reviews, I don't know why, but I want to say something true as to what I think about the book. Sometimes I just end up giving a rating, and skip the review!

Charlene Intriago My husband likes to review and does a pretty good job. Me, on the other hand, am like you and I struggle with the reviews. But I love reading them!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin Well with that great review from you Janice, I must put this on my "to read" list. I can't wait to start it. Hopefully, one day very soon I can.

Janice Robin wrote: "Well with that great review from you Janice, I must put this on my "to read" list. I can't wait to start it. Hopefully, one day very soon I can."

Hope you enjoy it, Robin! If you haven't read her other books, they are such great reads, I highly recommend them.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin Thanks Janice! I will have to read ALL of hers. I did read March and absolutely LOVED it. I felt like I was catching up with old childhood friends and being intimately involved in their lives.

A book that reminds me of March in some ways is Gilead. Can put my finger on why. Have you read this one? I am not a religious person any more and thought I would not enjoy this story of an old minister writing a good bye letter to his young son. It was beautiful written with such lovely prose, I will return to it again one day.

Janice Robin wrote: "Thanks Janice! I will have to read ALL of hers. I did read March and absolutely LOVED it. I felt like I was catching up with old childhood friends and being intimately involved in their lives.

..."

Robin, yes I loved Gilead as well, and have Robinson's other books on my to-read list, just so many things that I want to read, I can't get to them nearly as fast as I would like!