Colleen's Reviews > The Orchid Affair

The Orchid Affair by Lauren Willig

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: guilty-pleasure, historical-fiction
Read from April 14 to May 10, 2011

I've been complaining about not seeing the Selwick Spy School yet. That wish went unfulfilled, but who cares, this book was still a serious improvement in the series. I was starting to get very lost among the string of society girls, none of whom actually meant to be a spy, all of whom had the same background, none of whom had a flower name that REALLY had much to do with them. Penelope was a great improvement in Betrayal of the Blood Lily, but Laura's character much more squarely addressed the problem. She's a spy. She was never part of the ton. She was a little older, making her emotions more significant and resonant than say, that twit Charlotte, or spoiled and cruel Mary. And too, we actually got back on track with the whole Napoleonic War setting.

[spoilers removed]

I think the greatest accomplishment, though, was that for the first time, I didn't roll my eyes about Eloise once. (Okay, probably once or twice but just in the beginning.) Her constant b****ing about Serena finally finds a place in the narrative, her love for Colin actually rings as authentic and not superficial, and God help me, but I was excited for their final finshing-up chapter at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orchid Affair.