Werner's Reviews > Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: childrens, books-i-own
Read in January, 2006

This book would probably be enjoyable enough reading for kids (though the latter part of it contains some profanity), but in my opinion it isn't deep enough to appeal enough to serious adult fans of fantasy or supernatural fiction.

Addendum, March 20, 2012
I'm thinking, four years after reviewing this book and six or so after reading it, that this is one that deserves a re-read. The first time, I think I was still approaching it in a way that was a bit too self-consciously serious and "adult;" but after four years of being part of Goodreads, I've learned to lighten up significantly. :-)
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis Fowl.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just tried to read it but I couldn't get into it, course it could be me right now and not the story which did seem too juvenile and as you know I love YA.

message 2: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner It's definitely pitched to a juvenile audience. But it does have a certain verve, and Colfer undeniably has a fertile imagination. Those factors convinced me I should give it a second read, but heaven only knows when I'll get around to that --there are so many books I want to read for the first time (and a few more adult books I'm also wanting to re-read)! That's my usual lament, "so many books, so little time!" :-(

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I do relate to that. We just took it back to the library yesterday and I won't try again but will be interested to hear what you think on the second read.