Jay's Reviews > Hannah

Hannah by Kathryn Lasky

2419499
Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: borrowed-from-library, deliciousness, historical-distant, tampon-theatre, ya, fantasy, sea-sisters
Read from April 13 to 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I love mermaid fiction, and despite the 'average-ness' of this book, this is truly why I found myself loving it. Kathryn Lasky, despite what I feel is her best intentions, really just lists what is going on half the time, and doesn't allow the characters to really show themselves. Most of the time I felt Hannah et al. were just going through the motions and Hannah herself wasn't stepping up to the plate to take control of any of the situations she were thrust upon her.

The character Hannah isn't a problem to me. Maybe she's really just a passive person. In the beginning we're told that Hannah demands what she wants, and challenges authority and tries to get her own way, but we see none of that in the story. Some of this might be because she doesn't want to get kicked out of her job, which is believable. But when Lila starts threatening her physically, she doesn't do anything to stop it. She doesn't even really go for help- others find evidence of Lila's attacks.

And then there's Lila herself. What's up with her? No, seriously, what was any of that about? She wanted Stannish? She wanted her cat? I get that she was mentally unbalanced, but in the course of the whole story, I really couldn't see where Lila fit in. Hannah's transformation could have come easily in another form instead of being chased by Lila into the ocean.

There were a lot of loose ends at the close of the story, most of which I think is because of the other two stories in this series. But there was no satisfaction when I set this book down. It just was. Why was Hannah orphaned? What about her romance with the painter? What about Ettie, who murdered a cat and saw Hannah sneaking off to swim every night? And many more, like her place with the family and what the hell is going to happen to Lila.

This book is a very easy read, and I did enjoy it, despite its pitfalls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hannah.

04/15/2011 page 250

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Yeah, it was very weird book, and I'd be lying if I said i didn't hate it. POOR KITTY! I was so pissed when Ettie killed the poor cat, when really, it was Lila who was the crazy one, lol.