Aubrey's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 13 to 19, 2011

*Side note, I updated this rating from a 4 to a 5 (on 4/7/12) because this book still sits with me, stirring up thoughts every now and then.*

I had wanted to read this book for a long while, as it's always on the "classics" list. Ender’s Game is one of those books that I found I hate and like. I don’t know if it was Card’s intention to make the reader feel as tired, frustrated, and hopeless as Ender felt while reading it, but that’s how I felt much of the time. It really wiped the energy out of me. I was hooked in the beginning and I began to fade about a quarter of the way through. Yet when I got to the ending I really liked it. I didn’t love how much it exhausted me. I did really like how everything tied in. I loved the points that Card was trying to make. I really really empathized with Ender’s character. I just adored Valentine. She was probably my favorite character. So I was both annoyed with this book and enjoyed it, if that makes any sense at all. I would only recommend it to other who have the patience to give it a chance,read, and absorb all that is in it, because there is MUCH to absorb. I will add that I do understand why it won the Nebula and Hugo Awards. Ultimately, it is one of those books that was frustrating for me to read, but looking back (and after having read the ending) I feel that it was well worth the frustration. As much as I hated being frustrated and as much as it drained the life out of me to read, I think that it was important to feel that frustration and exhaustion because it brought me closer to the character, Ender.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.