Sarah's Reviews > The Story Girl

Apr 13, 11

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, novel, canada
Read in July, 2007

The Story Girl is narrated by Beverly King recalling a summer spent in Prince Edward Island with his brother Felix staying with their aunt and uncle on the old family farm. In between chores and school they spend their time playing with their cousins Dan, Felicity, and Cecily King and Sara Stanley, as well as the hired boy Peter Craig and neighbor girl Sara Ray. Montgomery paints vivid pictures of each adolescent from the beautiful, but vain Felicity, to the ever sweet and lovable Cecily, to Peter, the diamond in the ruff. But the star of this group is Sara Stanley, who prefers to be known as "The Story Girl". She stands out from the other children in numerous ways. Her mother died when she was young; her father is an artist living in Paris (The Story Girl lives with a spinster aunt and bachelor uncle nearby), but most importantly, she's the best person around for telling stories. From make-believe fairy tales to real-life family tales, The Story Girl has a story for every occasion and several of them are shared in this book.

Overall it was a delightful tale of the carefree days of youth, but it also made me feel awful jaded. The children range in age from 11 to 16 and I often felt like their actions were those of slightly younger children. I kept worrying that it was a sign of how desensitized today's children are, but then I also keep trying to convince myself that really I'm not far enough removed from my young teen years to realize just how childish I still was then. While I certainly liked this book, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as others, although that's usually a problem I have with her more generalized "plot-less" stories. I needed a spunky Anne trying to conquer the world to drive the story on (and a good love story always seems to draw me in, too).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story Girl.