Karyl's Reviews > The Courts of Love

The Courts of Love by Jean Plaidy

Apr 19, 11

Read from April 13 to 19, 2011

This novel is an interesting read about Eleanor of Aquitaine, one of the few strong women in history that didn't let her sex hold her back. She held on to her lands through two marriages, one of which failed through divorce, and decided which of her sons would inherit. She was both the Queen of France and the Queen of England at a time in which the two countries hated each other bitterly. She was also able to secure strong marriages for her children that brought her family more land and more prestige.

My objection to this book, however, is I felt it was very dry. Plaidy's writing is very elementary, with each sentence following the same subject-verb-direct object pattern: "I did this. Then I did that. Then I did the other." I found myself skimming rather frequently, which in this book is not a good idea, as so many of the main characters share the same name. I also think Plaidy could have condensed some of the events of Eleanor's long life, or focused on the most exciting bits, to make the story more engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courts of Love.

04/14/2011 page 62
11.0% "How much wiser were those who took love lightheartedly, as surely it was meant to be taken."
04/19/2011 page 495
86.0% "But then Saladin was an unusual man, as Richard was....They were two of the great heroes of the day. One worshipped Allah, the other the Christian God. Perhaps the two were not so very far apart. If that were so, why this war? Why could we not sit down and come to terms about the differences?"