Tiff's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from December 26, 2011 to May 04, 2012

This is an epic of a book which covers a LIFETIME for all the characters (at almost a thousand pages, it should be sufficient). At first glance I would have thought it was some normal Knight's Tale or any novel set in the Medieval era with Kings, Queens, Knights, Ladies etc but I never though I'd delve into the minds of priors, masons, bishops, outlaws, and more. This is such a curious book as it has no specific main character or hero. You were rooting for several people and this is the first book that I've read where the author lets you inside the heads of EVERYBODY including scheming villains so every time you read his thoughts, it was like you were also the villain doing these dastardly deeds and you curse yourself for it as you curse the main character. Get ready also to learn A LOT about masonry and architecture. It's so detailed and filled with geometry sometimes that I find myself dumb and at the same time awestruck at how buildings are constructed. Follett really paints a beautiful picture and even though I can't really understand everything, a vision of something splendid is formed in my head. His writing is not of the descriptive kind nor is it narrative. Actually it was more of like reading a play of some sorts.
At some points though I wanted to throw the book at Follett's head because he didn't hold anything back from our beloved characters. They suffered, were deprived of EVERYTHING, were cursed, were raped, were killed and this made everything more humane especially human history in its defeats and triumphs. The romantic and ideal setting of the Medieval age to me has disappeared because I now know how horrible it is to have to live in constant fear especially when everything you can have could be instantly taken away in just a second because of spite and vengeance. I find that the past was extremely hard to live in especially for a woman when lands were ruled by kings and queens and you had to obey them. You were either a noble or a peasant and life must have been very hard and this book really opened my eyes to the dark side of it. But nonetheless the beauty that I have for this era still remains.

My favorite part has got to be the 3/4s of the book, somewhere in the 600s pages when I read one of the most beautiful acts of love I've ever read in my life. Aliena and Jack's love is so real and so beautiful.

I regret not finishing this book sooner, I kinda stopped at the 30th page because I "got bored" but as soon as Prior Philip entered, I couldn't put the book down anymore! Great read for those who like history, medieval age but not suitable for those who as usual want the fast-paced action. This book requires patience just like the Lord of the Rings. Can't wait to read the sequel!

4.5 rating!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.

05/01/2012 page 127
13.0% "FINALLY AM MOVING!! *boo yeah!*"