Jc's Reviews > Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat

Making Rounds with Oscar by David Dosa

Apr 13, 11

To start, I would not have chosen this book to read on my own. But, someone at work wished to hear my opinion, so I was obliged to read it. Certainly I am HIGHLY skeptical that there is anything remarkable about Oscar other than him being, well, a cat. But, I do give this book major points for a different reason: it is a very nice, albeit Readers Digest-level, discussion of the difficulties families face when a loved one is suffering from Alzheimer's. Also, for those afraid of the concept of the nursing home, or who are feeling guilty about the possibility of sending a loved one to a nursing home, the book offers a good description of life inside a an extended care facility -- the better ones of which have caring staff who really want the best for their residents. And thirdly, the book gets points for its encouragement of using pets as part of therapy in hospitals and nursing homes. Usually you just hear dogs spoken of in this way; it was refreshing to hear of a facility that realizes that cats also make great therapy companions. So, ignoring the secret powers of Oscar, this does make an informative and pleasant read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Rounds with Oscar.