Laura's Reviews > Every Little Thing in the World

1351942
Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobook, ya-lit
Read from April 13 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** For me 2 stars is for a book that I read all of but didn't particularly enjoy.

Every Little Thing in the World tells the story of 16-year-old Sydney's deteriorating relationship with her divorced relationship and accidental pregnancy. Her parents, frustrated with her brushes with the law and lack of responsibility, ship her off to spend a month canoeing in Canadian lakes.

Sydney obsesses over what to do about her pregnancy and her relationship with her best friend, Natalia. The main characters are fully developed and their problems are described realistically and completely. I didn't like the book because it was so focused on these problems and the plot seemed more like a background for Sydney's consideration of her pregnancy and relationships.

***MAJOR SPOILER*** I actually wanted to find out if Sydney had an abortion or not and the reviews I read didn't specifically state what she decided to do. So I had to listen to the whole book to find out. She does have an abortion and does ultimately tell her mom about it. I'm glad that this book discusses what happens when a girl/woman decides to go through with having an abortion. So often, the issue is avoided ala Party of Five with Julia's miscarriage, or by having the character find the right adoption plan.

There were other little things that I didn't like very much either. I suspect that some of these issues are more because I am well past my teen years. This is definitely appropriate for a public library collection; school libraries may want to exercise caution.

The audio version wasn't fantastic. The narrator's voices for the male characters sounded digitally altered. I couldn't decide if I thought the reader was trying to infuse emotion into her reading; she often sounded annoyed or sad or bored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Little Thing in the World.