Sharon's Reviews > Dragon's Bait

Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde

F 50x66
Apr 27, 2011

it was ok

While probably not despicable, I hated it. Maybe my expectations were too high, because it was VVV or I just haven't read a book in a long time (like, a couple of days?). Either way, I got through chapter two, then read the last chapter to see how it ended (which I never do). She started out by getting strapped to a post to be eaten by the local dragon, who instead talks to her and eventually they decide to get revenge on her hometown together. Stop right there! I mean, maybe this is a logical thing for a blood-thirsty jerk of a dragon, but for a fifteen year-old girl who has lived in the town for her whole life? That’s so unrealistic. And kind of sickening, the way they talk about it. Plus the dragon’s attitude was annoying. And then I (MINOR SPOILER) read the end and found out neither of them felt regret (as far as I could tell) and then they ride off together. (END OF SPOILER)

Okay. Maybe the middle was good. Some books just have really bad first chapters. So I felt a little obligated to give it a two. But I don’t really feel like pushing myself through these days. Don’t go by me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Bait.

Sairah I read this in 5th grade (I'm 22 now), so the details aren't all there, but I'm pretty sure there was some indirect family murder involved as well as shop usurping. That would fuel the 15 year old's revenge fire. That and the fact that those same village people she grew up with strapped her to a post for a dragon. And tried to do a more permanent job at the end.

Anna Fajardo I'm not sure if you learned this bit already or not, but (SPOILERS) the girl doesn't go through with her plot for revenge. Like ^Sairah^ said, the town was at fault for the death of her family, so the hatred was understandable. I think the dragon stuck around because he wanted to see if she'd go through with it, but I got the feeling he didn't approve of the violence. She changed her mind by the end of the book. They scared the town in the end, but that was all.