Angie's Reviews > Beezus and Ramona

Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, childrens-book-club-books, website, childrens-middle-grade
Read from April 13 to 20, 2011

I know I really enjoyed the Ramona books as a child and they do stand up pretty well on rereading. Ramona is clearly a rambunctious kid and Beezus really has to put up with a lot as a big sister. As a big sister myself I can clearly understand some of her frustrations. Although I don't think my little sisters were anywhere near as bad as Ramona. I think this book is fun and kids today will enjoy them as much as kids have in the past 50 years. However, there are some things that do date the books and I think kids will pick up on them...Ramona playing alone in the sandbox while Beezus has art class, a library book only costing $2.50, washing hair in the sink and it being a big deal. I'm don't think this will diminish the enjoyment but they will notice that these things are modern.

I think what really stood out for me was just how bad Ramona's behavior was and how little punishment she received for it. She was truly a bratty kid and her parents really didn't do much about it except send her to her room. I know I would have been in serious trouble if I would have done even half of what Ramona did in this book. I don't blame Beezus for not loving Ramona all the time I think she would have been a hard kid to love. I know that isn't the message I am supposed to get from this book, and I am sure that isn't what I got as a kid, but as an adult reading it again that is definitely what I get. I wonder why the parents didn't discipline Ramona more and make her behave! And I feel sorry for Beezus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beezus and Ramona.