Kat 's Reviews > My Reading Life

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: most-awesome-books-in-the-world
Read in April, 2011

“It involves the eerie mysteries of enchantment itself, the untouchable wizardy that occurs when a story, in all its fragile elegance, speaks to the times in a clear original voice and answer some strange hunger and demands of the zeitgeist.“

Shannon at Books Devoured mailed me this book as a RAK this month because I had it on my amazon wishlist. I had it on my amazon wishlist because someone suggested it when I was enjoying A Passion for Books. (another wonderful book about books, collecting, literature and how books shape our lives btw) So that is how My Reading Life meandered along into my mailbox by chance one day and landed in my life. I’m ever so glad it did.

(rest of review http://confessionsofacommonreader.wor...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Reading Life.

Quotes Kat Liked

Pat Conroy
“Books are living things and their task lies in their vows of silence. You touch them as they quiver with a divine pleasure. You read them and they fall asleep to happy dreams for the next 10 years. If you do them the favor of understanding them, of taking in their portions of grief and wisdom, then they settle down in contented residence in your heart.”

Pat Conroy
“Here is all I ask of a book- give me everything. Everything, and don't leave out a single word.”

Pat Conroy
“Few things linger longer or become more indwelling than that feeling of both completion and emptiness when a great book ends. That the book accompanies the reader forever from that day forward is part of literature's profligate generosity.”

Pat Conroy
“I can't pass a bookstore without slipping inside, looking for the next book that will burn my hand when I touch its jacket, or hand me over a promissory note of such immense power that it contains the formula that will change everything about me.”

Pat Conroy
“In our modern age, there are writers who have heaped scorn on the very idea of the primacy of story. I'd rather warm my hands on a sunlit ice floe than try to coax fire from the books they carve from glaciers.”