Mitzi's Reviews > The English American

The English American by Alison Larkin

Apr 13, 11

Read in January, 2011

This was a light read with a few parts of some depth with regard to adoption and an adoptee's loss of place and identity. While the book is billed as fiction, a review of the author's life shows it to be laregly autobiographical. The main character, Pippa, is born of American parents and adopted by a British couple. I enjoyed the scenes set in the UK in which, Pippa, the main character tries to explain her vague feelings of "otherness" when surrounded by those of her adoptive homeland -- particularly her very British sister. I also enjoyed the parts set in NYC and the beginnings of Pippa's stage career. The sections set in the Southern US seemed over the top and did not ring true to me. If your an Anglophile, an adoptee, or a parent of an adopted child, you may find it particularly interesting. Otherwise,I'd reach for a different book that is either a sharper comedy or a more complex drama. This straddles the line between those two genres, but does not do it all that well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English American.