veganjilly's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: favorites, fiction
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 6

HOLY. FREAKING. CRAP. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just finished this book last night, and I was blown away by it. This is easily going to be the best book that I will read this year, and is going in my top 10 list of best fiction books of all time! Excellent fiction is not always easy to come by. I don't mind mediocre reads from time to time, but it is SO GREAT to be totally stunned by an indescribably excellent book every once in awhile!

For one thing, this book is so well-written. The author has a beautiful way with words, and her descriptions are eloquent and lovely. There was a seamless flow to this book that was exquisite. Nothing was choppy or out of place; the rhythm, pacing, and phrases used flowed so effortlessly that I was never distracted by the writing or the language (as sometimes happens in fiction). Because of this, I was able to get completely lost in this world; and boy was I! "Spellbound" is the only proper way to describe it.

Also, the characters were strong and interesting. Knowing that this is the first in what is supposed to be a trilogy, you get a good base understanding of the main and supporting characters with the full knowledge that a deeper relationship with them will come as the story continues to unfold.

I have read a few reviews that say the beginning of this book is boring; I did not find it so. I was instantly mesmerized and drawn in. I knew that the author was setting the stage for all that was to come, and while it may seem slow at first, you will be very grateful as you continue in the book. Once I got into the "thick" of things, I was grateful to have waded through the beginning, as it gave me a strong foundation for all of the character developments and plot twists that arose throughout the story.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT: Now I have to wait for the next book! However will I do that?!?! I tend to get very emotionally involved with books and characters that I love; I already miss spending time with these characters and I am desperate to continue living in their magical world! Dear Ms. Harkness, I am under your spell, please put me out of my misery and publish the next installment soon!!!!
209 likes · flag

02/03 marked as: read

Sehar abbas same here i am dyng to read the next part

Karen I totally agree. She's really knowledgeable and has done her researches really intensively.

Michelle Ivey I felt the same way. I was just blown away and taken in. I could't stop reading. Looking forward to more.

Juliet Ekinaka THAT'S WHAT I SAID! HOLY, FREAKIN' CRAP!!!! soooo intense!

veganjilly Lol! Every time I turn the calendar page to a new month I'm thinking "one month closer to the next ADOW book!!!!" Haha

Juliet Ekinaka YAY! I can't wait!!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) LOVED it too - on all time favorite list. And the audiobook is wonderful too.

veganjilly Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "LOVED it too - on all time favorite list. And the audiobook is wonderful too."

I completely agree! I have been listening to the audio book on a loop for awhile now. I think the narrator does a spectacular job with all the different characters, accents, and languages. Really brings the beautiful story to life! :)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I love the way his mother says Matthew! I also love that I "see" Matthew as Henry Cavill....or Henry as Matthew, however that would be.

Laura There was a point where i just started talking, as if the characters could hear me. I absolutely love how the female lead has a backbone! I have officially declared it my favorite book of all time. so yes i agree.. HOLY. FREAKIN. CRAP

veganjilly Laura wrote: "There was a point where i just started talking, as if the characters could hear me. I absolutely love how the female lead has a backbone! I have officially declared it my favorite book of all time...."

YES!!!! Its so refreshing! I was totally taken aback by how much I loved this book. I've read it 5 times since it came out... so yeah, I guess that is a lot, and I know I will read it many more times to come! I am sure you are as excited as I am about Shadow of Night coming out on Tuesday, YIPEE!!!!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I was wondering myself if this isn't my favorite book of all time. It's hard...Outlander, Atlas Shrugged..

Laura Cannot WAIT FOR TOMMARROW

veganjilly Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I was wondering myself if this isn't my favorite book of all time. It's hard...Outlander, Atlas Shrugged.." It is definitely in my top 10, if not my top 5! :)

veganjilly Laura wrote: "Cannot WAIT FOR TOMMARROW"

I was obsessively checking my Kindle waiting for it to show up and started reading it immediately. I am reading it slowly, savoring every word, and enjoying it immensely!!! What an amazing series this is proving to be!!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I have the book but had a million things keep me from it tonight so barely into it. I am going to do it slowly too!

Ellen Well said!! I felt the same way, dying for the second book. How nice to read a complimentary review after reading the reviews of people who didn't understand it.

Emmala I LOVED THE BOOK, so disappointed though, having a hard time getting through the second one.

veganjilly I Am reading Shadow of Night a second time through and liking it much more this time around. ADOW will always be my favorite though... It's hard to beat ! :)

Sistah After checking DH website for an update, I find book three virtually nonexistent...not only is it without a release date, it's unfinished and untitled titled. This could be a good thing, like a quality read, keeping within the standard set in previous books... perhaps. You know, when it comes to a trilogy, some authors seem to take the purchase of the third book for granted and the last book doesn't measure up. (However, I can't believe I'm still waiting on book three, after this length of time. It says a lot about the first two books. I may have to Jon you in rereading then... again!)

veganjilly Sistah wrote: "After checking DH website for an update, I find book three virtually nonexistent...not only is it without a release date, it's unfinished and untitled titled. This could be a good thing, like a qua..."

I confess that I, too, have been checking her website often hoping for updates. She's been pretty quiet on Facebook lately too, but just today she posted that she has been quiet because she is frantically working on book 3!!!!! Yay!!!! I think you are right, it will be well-worth the wait. Its hard to be patient, though; I'm so excited! And yeah, in the meantime I am just about done with my seventh re-read of ADOW and going to start on my third re-read of SON. Obsessed much?!?!? ;)

Shifra thank you for your great review! I concur on the awesome re-readability of this epic novel

veganjilly Hello, and so happy my review was helpful to you! Happy reading! :)

Tamara Agreed; I TRULY LOVED this book!!!

message 25: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Mccaig This is definitely up there with my favourite books! Some people have been such snobs about it and are thinking too much into negatively reviewing the book! I just enjoyed reading how the characters and story developed! Cracking read! Can't wait to read the next two!!! :)

Josie Haley reese I agree 100%

Maggie I agree too. I don't understand the negative reviews at all! I loved this book. Oh, and I think Scott Elrod should play Matthew in the movie.

Jolyn Jones I am in complete agreement, 100%! Great writing, great characters, great story. I ended up re-reading the first book before each new book came out! Could not get enough!

Erika I am currently having to force myself to put the book down each night so I can get (much needed) sleep! I love this book! And picture Henry Cavill as Matthew... Fantastic character development and I cannot understand giving it any less than 5* (even though I'm only halfway through!).

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Just started this book, but already enjoying it.