Sandy's Reviews > Wildefire

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: falling-asleep, premise-i-love, read-in-2011, should-have-been-better
Read from July 22 to 25, 2011

This premise is bursting with potential, but these characters need a big dose of likeability. While I commend Knight for his bold choice to write from a female POV, Ash's voice needs some work. The dialogue and narrative is littered with crude words and phrases that I'd venture to say many (most?) females just don't use. It's like the Beautiful Creatures syndrome in the inverse.

However, there is simmering potential in both the premise and writing, so I'll definitely be checking out the sequel.

(But what was with that ending? I kept swiping my finger at the screen trying to turn the page, thinking my iPad had frozen or something. Nope. That was the last page.)

And can I just say, that is one GORGEOUS cover.

Side note: Anyone else notice that this takes place in the same small town as Aprilynne Pike's Wings series? Who knew there were fairies, trolls, and goddesses all hanging out in the same small town of Orick, CA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildefire.

07/22/2011 page 45
11.0% "Yikes. That was a very violent first chapter. And not even dystopian-fighting-for-our-lives violent. Just pointless, immature fighting-over-a-jerk violent." 5 comments

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Laura YA indie princess I love your bookshelve falling asleep

Steph Sinclair This book seems to be a hit or miss amongst my goodreads friends. It was a miss for me.

Sandy @Laura: Thanks. :) I read at night, and some books are so compelling/compulsively readable that I stay up until 4:00 a.m. to finish them...and then there are the others that have me out cold after ten minutes. This one was a bit of a snoozer in the middle.

@Stephanie: This was a miss for me, too, especially since I thought it was going to be amazing based on early reviews. I do see the attraction (again, brilliant premise) but it had a bit too much violence/unlikeable characters/girls-talking-like-guys for me.

Wendy Darling Oh, I didn't see you'd actually finished it! I couldn't get over the unlikable heroine, I'm afraid. I agree, this had so much potential.

Steph Sinclair I think the biggest issue for me was that everyone's 'voice' sounded alike. I also didn't feel like I understood the characters. They were forgettable to me.