John Gorman's Reviews > Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion

Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk

Apr 13, 2011

Read in April, 2011

The Social Media Sommelier takes a bigger step into Tony Robbins domain. I'm okay with it. If your familiar with Gary's booming personality this book happens to be a more sober, analytical approach to some of his other writing. Persoanlly, I really love the title and its subtle play on his deep grape-staining passion-- vino.

Donald Trump always says do what you love and so does Gary, but I find Gary's way with words and style much more appealing than the Donald. So be it. Is mantra is to mix passion with expertise. That's the killer combo as he sees it. He encourages journalists and those in dead-end jobs to jump ship and swim to salvation. it's no mystery that the publishing world is headed into Titanic-mode and few have life preservers or mini boats lined up. Then what? Gary explains pretty frankly that one needs to find out their true DNA. If you know what makes you tick you will be halfway to your destination. the key to success is empowering oneself and taking initiative of one's life. That the Tony Robbins territory. Style-wise I like the way Gary expresses himself.

He gives you the background of how he made it, really distinguished himself from his father who literally ran a mom and pop business.

There's a generous list of cool websites that give you more scoop on marketing, branding, and all that business 101 stuff.

One part that really cracked me up was that he believes there will someday soon be the rise of the News Maverick, a transmogrified Geraldo Rivera who jumps over fences like a stakes horse trying to get the good dirt. His mini chapter titles like "The Lure and the Lasso" are uber cool.

Whether your on-the-fence about your job or just dying to start a business I'd give this book a good read because it may just help you launch your platform.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crush It!.