Lisa K's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: favorites, reviewed
Read in February, 2011

I will admit that I have never read any of Levithans solo works before but I can definitely say that I enoyed this sweet little book. It is a sort of heartbreak/love story told through dictionary style entries, words chosen for their power and relevance. The appropriateness (is that a word?) of each word and its meaning added that little bit extra that made The Lovers Dictionary move from a so-so 3 star to a memorable 4 read. It was a quick read, hence the quick review, but one that has lingered. It is the kind of book that made me fold over pages (bad, I know) to mark my favorite spots and I can definitely see myself going back in the future.

The way the story is exposed, slowly and not committing to any sort of time line, means that the characters are never really exposed but I still felt that I got to know them through the entries. My favorite part, of course, was the writing syle and uniqueness of the dictionary entries, they definitely appealed to my inner nerd and I found a couple of great new words that I keep trying to sneak into my sentences. The title and style also made me think about how we define love and how we define the entries into our memories, the words that have such power to describe so many different moments.

While never really learn the full history of the couple but the connection is a lasting one and I definitely will be going back to read this book again. I got it on my kindle the first time round and have had to order a physical copy so I can properly scribble and highlight (shhh) my favoritest (yep, I’m just makin ‘em up now) words. A definite recommendation from me!

And now for my absolute favorite entry that basically sums up the whole book in my head:

Non sequitur, n. This is what it sounds like when doves cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.