Rachel Hope Miranda's Reviews > The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

Apr 13, 11

From Seventh Grade on (& still now) I found myself absolutely fascinated by the 1960’s and the freedom of the era. Every time a school project came about, I would find some way to focus it around this time period, which leads me to convincing my mother to purchase this, Tom Wolfe’s The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and many other books. At the time I first read this (Seventh Grade) I completely and utterly did not understand it; I found myself attempting to “look cool” by bringing it with me everywhere. Years later I find it on my book shelf and pick it up again, read it cover to cover and sit contemplating the words I just in took. Wolfe got mixed reviews for this novel, this historic journey and though I can see the point of the negativity, I can’t say I fully agree. Wolfe was able to describe even a few moments in an era, that from all of my research I can only label as indescribable. There are pages in this novel that I snored through, but more pages that I laughed at, awed at and read over again for pure enjoyment. In his best moments Wolfe is able to transform his readers mind to that of himself within his novel and as accurately as he can, create the feeling of this era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.