~Tina~'s Reviews > Raw Blue

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, read-2011
Read from April 13 to 14, 2011

Aussie Book challenge 2011 #5

Raw Blue is such a powerful and haunting story about a girl named Carly who went through a traumatic experience and channels cooking and surfing to her every single day routine to stop the memories from over powering her life. When she meets Ryan, she doesn't know if she can let him into her heart because of her past. This is a raw and emotional read about letting go, trust and healing the human soul.

I love Australian books. I love how different it feels every time I get the chance to pick one up. I love how different the slang and language is, it always feels like I'm being transported there. I don't know about this book being 'very Australian' but I do know I love the way it writes.
Kirsty Eagar doesn't hold back the emotional punches and pain that this character is going through, but she doesn't do it in an obvious way. When I realized what this book is about, what really happened to Carly, it hit me pretty hard, not being very comfortable with this topic to begin with, but then again, who is? It really breaks me just even thinking about it and what it must have felt like to have that much weight and shame and power hanging over you. How do you trust again or even let go?

Carly is a very sharp and strong character with a very hard shell around her. The moment you meet her you just know that something is very much dead inside. You will not help be completely invested right from minute one till the very last page, hoping against hope that this character will eventually find the peace she so desperately needs. I'm very grateful to Ryan's character and was glad to see him fighting for her even though she pushes him away and even though we don't know exactly how it ends up, it lingers on hope and that's good enough for me. I also really loved Danny, he's funny and sweet and a very cool kid.

Overall, I thought this book was simply amazing. It's intense and touching and heartbreaking and even though I usually tend to stay away from this type of heartbreak-reads, since it takes days to get over it, I'm still very happy to have had a chance to experience this outstanding gem.

Special thanks to Nic (twinie) for sharing and sending this copy. You really are the best girl. xo

19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

~Tina~ This just came in! Thanks for sending it twinie!!
I'll start it, hopefully, this weekend:)

Arlene Yay! Enjoy!! I've tried to buy this online and I can't find it ANYWHERE! Those aussies are protective of their books! LOL

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic YAY Twinie Smiley

Arlene, I am sorry those publishers don't like to share :(

message 4: by Alexa (last edited Apr 13, 2011 03:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa I blame US publishers!

LMAO @ that banana!

Arlene LOL, the dancing banana is back!

Yes, I like blaming the US publishers. Boo to them! Booooo!!!!

Arlene So I found an Aussie bookseller (Dymocks???) that ships books to the US.

It's $19.95 for a paperback book and $40 for shipping. Am I missing something in the exchange rate or something? Is my $10US like $100Aussie dollars or what? WT!?!? LOL

message 7: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F $40 for shipping?!!!

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Arlene, there is a cheaper website for aussie books called Fishpond

Did you sign up for the tour at Bookers?

Arlene I tell no lie:

And that's for books up to 1kg... how many books is that? 500??

Arlene Nic wrote: "Arlene, there is a cheaper website for aussie books called Fishpond

Did you sign up for the tour at Bookers?"

Oh! I'll check that out.

Yes, I'm on the list. :D It's just that you tease me with all those aussie books that sometimes I just want to buy them myself. LOL

message 11: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Just let me know if you want anything. I'll get it for you :)

Arlene Awww thankies Nic. You'd be shopping for me all day if I did that. I just need to learn self control. >.<

I did notice my lib is starting to carry some. So that's good. :D

~Tina~ wOOt! The danceing banana is back! Heheheh!

I know what you mean Arlene, most of these books Nic and Nomes read I just want to run out and order them as well. I'm trying to get Burn Bright but it's hard to part with $40 for just one book. Ouch. I'll get it eventually though, I.want.that.book.
Then I'll send it around as a tour =D

~Tina~ Yeah...I went to skim the first few pages and couldn't stop. Wow..this book!

Alexa, I'll send it out to you on Monday.

Nomes Eep!

This review is just BRILLIANT BRILLIANT & BRILLIANT

You've made me heart proud.

~Tina~ Thanks Nomes:) I'm amazed I even got the words down. I was shaking this book effected me so much.

I need to read something happy a.s.a.p!

Nomes It is just such an intensely real read.

Kirsty told me she wrote it all over two months and it just poured out of her and she wasn't writing it for anyone but herself and carly. she had no idea it would even be YA. she said she got way too emotionally involved but i think that's what makes it so brilliant

~Tina~ Yup, you can really tell that she poured a lot of heart and soul into Carly. I didn't think it would be so heartbreaking so it really surprised me just how powerful it really was.

I'm curious about her other books now and will have to get Saltwater Vampires in e-book one of these days.
Great great writing!

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Nomes wrote: "Eep!

This review is just BRILLIANT BRILLIANT & BRILLIANT

You've made me heart proud."

What Nomes said ^^. So glad you loved this and I am so happy that I could share it with you :)

~Tina~ I'm sending you mental hugs and kisses twinie!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

It stinks we can't buy Aussie books. I want this one and "Saltwater Vampires". Argh!!!

message 22: by Isamlq (last edited Apr 15, 2011 12:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isamlq i read Cachic's review on this and added it to my TBR ... your review just made me want to have it more:) awesome review!

message 23: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Just went over to the corner to make sure I’m on the tour list.^^ I can’t wait to read this!! Awesome review, Tina!!

Our Aussie Book Fairy rocks!

~Tina~ I know what you mean Sunny and Isamlq, I wish Aussie book are easier to get as well:(

Thanks Jess! Yes, our Book Fairy does rock! I hope you like it!

Alexa Aww this book sounds really sad. But I like when books leave me emotional. Awesome review!

~Tina~ Thanks hun:)

Arlene LOL Jess! I just double checked too, even though I knew I was on the list, but after this review I'm really excited for my turn!!

Awesome review Tina!

Nic, thanks so much for sharing this with the Bookers. :D

~Tina~ Thanks Arlene! This is a book really hard 'not' to like!

Arlene Oh I'm sure I'll love it. It's written in Aussie pen... so that there makes it a must read. LOL

~Tina~ I don't think I've read an Aussie book that I didn't like. Must be something in the water down there...or the koala's...yup, I bet it's them adorable creatures;)

Arlene LOL, I agree. I haven't read an Aussie book that I didn't adore. We just need to move in with Nic and raid her bookshelf.

~Tina~ I'm there!!!

message 33: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic YAY! Bookers moving in! ~passes you both a koala~

message 34: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Awesome review Teeny! Does this book make you sad??

~Tina~ Oh yeah! This was a very emotional read and something I don't normally read. But I loved it:)

Crystal wonderful review!

~Tina~ Thanks Crystal!:)

Shirley Marr Lovely review. Yes, this book IS very Australian - everything about this country is laid back while being very rough and dangerous at the same time (hence Drop Bears). Horrah for Aussie YA:)

~Tina~ Thanks Shirley!