Gus's Reviews > Empire of Ivory

Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik

M_50x66
Apr 13, 11

Empire of Ivory is much different from the other books in the series. This is important because you can't tell how any of the books will end. The main problem here is plague, not on humans, but an epidemic which has infected all of the dragons in England – except for Temeraire and his companions. Somehow Temeraire is immune to the disease, and the dragon surgeons think they know why. He had it back when it started, but suddenly it went away. He must have eaten something that cured him somewhere along the way. So, with the fate of all the dragons in England in their hands, Temeraire, Will Laurence, and their friends must journey to Africa, where Temeraire had the disease originally, and find the cure. However, once they reach Africa, things don't go entirely as planned.

I liked this book because it has lots of fast-paced, mid-air action and yet it is surprisingly realistic. I also like to think from Temeraire's point of view. I can relate to him more than I can to Laurence, because he just gets things done and doesn't think about the consequences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Ivory.