Lauren's Reviews > Rock Hard

Rock Hard by Olivia Cunning

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: for-blog
I own a copy

Thinking of what exactly to say about Olivia Cunning’s Rock Hard is being kind of a pain, especially as compared to the other books I’ve reviewed recently. Rock Hard falls into the erotic subgenre of romance novels and, whether as a result of that or as the reason for it, comes across as being less of a novel and more of a series of sex scenes bundled together with a little plot to separate them.

Sed is a rock star, the lead singer of the Sinners, a play boy who can get any girl he wants, and desperately heart broken by Jessica the only girl he ever loved. Jessica is a law student trying to save up the money to make up for her lost scholarship with what is apparently the only job anyone can think of, stripping. This sets the two ex-lovebirds on a collision course that ends with Jessica out of a job and Sed with her on his mind.

The little bit of plot that there was, was good but it was completely overshadowed by Sed and Jessica having sex in grossly inappropriate places. There were a number of plot points that could have been expanded upon and made interesting books on their own, like Jessica dealing with that one professor who hates her or Trey’s mix of an addictive personality and boyish charm, that were cut off rather abruptly in favor of sex and inner turmoil. So many of Sed and Jessica’s problems would have been solved if they could have kept their pants on for ten minutes and talked about why they don’t get along well. As much as I talk about the sex, was it good? Some of it, yes, but a lot of it was either public place sex or lacked believability as seems to be typical of romance novels. The character interactions were a bit easier to believe, at least to a point. Sed loves Jessica and, despite his broken heart, is willing to play along with her “just sex” rule until he can convince her to come back to him. Jessica is out for revenge? She’s really kind of hard to pin down, at one point she’s going to break his heart by giving him really good sex and then dumping him but that gets thrown out the window in favor of sex and romancing her man. Their past relationship was glossed over enough that it might have been more worthwhile to just introduce them to each other at the beginning of the book rather than giving them a past together.

So, it comes down to this, would I read more of the Sinners on Tour series? Maybe, this really wasn’t my cup of tea but I liked the minor characters enough to give the other books a chance. Do I wish there was more plot and less random sex? Yes, but that might just be due to the public nature of a lot of the sex. So, what’s the verdict? I’m going to give Rock Hard a two out of five for fairly average writing and the character’s use of insane troll logic in a number of situations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Hard.