Austin's Reviews > Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents by John Broome

Feb 22, 2008

Recommended to Austin by: I Picked It Up When It Came Out
Recommended for: Green Lantern Fans

The late '50's and early '60's was an exciting time for comics, as the silver age was ushered in by the re-imaginings of both The Flash and Green Lantern. Unfortunately for fans, the stories that make up these early adventures are far too expensive to pick up, and even the hardcover reprints are a bit pricey.

Recently, DC began their "Showcase" series, producing black and white reprints of these classic stories in trade form, very similar to the "Essential" series of Marvel books. And now, finally, for the first time since I became a comic collector, I can afford these early stories that I had only ever heard about in the "see such-and-such issue" blurbs.

The stories are pure Silver Age wonder, and for those willing to go on an old-school comics ride, they are fantastic. But the black-and-white nature of the reprints is hard to deal with at first. In many ways, they loose some of their ability to be read; in a comic like GL, color is a huge component of many plots, and often a reader is lost because what is supposed to represent an easily recognizable color (which plays a function in the plot later) is just colorless, and it's only after that plot-point has been revealed that it is clear that we should have known that from the beginning. In many ways, these black-and-white reprints fail to represent the images they reproduce, which can make for an odd reading experience. The point being, one could guess, that there is no substitute for the original issue.

Still, these Showcase collections are an Earlsend for someone who has always wanted to read those old stories, and could never afford them. Here's to hoping the manage to, eventually, cover all the Silver Age bases.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Showcase Presents.