Punk's Reviews > The Vor Game

The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

May 29, 11

bookshelves: ebook, science-fiction, spaceships
Read from May 26 to 28, 2011

SF. Freshly graduated from the academy, Miles is handed his orders only to discover that -- SURPRISE -- he gets to go to a dangerously cold place and study the weather! As you can imagine this is totally not his fondest wish. He's told that if he can behave himself for six months, he can probably get a post on a super cool new spaceship. But because he is Miles nothing is ever that simple.

I spent an entire Saturday reading this. Occasionally I would look up and feel like I should be doing something else or maybe just that I should take a break and not read the entire thing all at once, but it was just so good. I'd get to the end of a chapter and something EXCITING would happen and I would have to keep reading. Almost the entire book was like that. The pacing is great and Miles kicks ass. He's still getting into trouble, but it's not entirely his fault this time! He just continually finds himself in circumstances where he needs to make some wild shit up in order to survive and/or serve Barrayar. Is this the part where I tell you that every time I come across the word "Barrayar" I instead read "Barr-yar-yar" in my head? It's very piratey in my head, apparently.

Anyway, this is the first Vorkosigan novel that made me all HELL YEAH about it. It's consistently good and Miles' cynicism made me laugh a bunch of times. I'm looking forward to the next book!

Five stars. Character-driven military science fiction. As rare as unicorns, and just as awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vor Game.

05/27/2011
14.0% "Miles totally got sent to Antarctica."
05/28/2011
100.0% "All I did today was read this book. I read it so much that it's all gone."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SA (new) - rated it 5 stars

SA Oh thank god--I was wondering where in this series all the accolades would come in, so it's good to know I've only got two more books to go to get there.

message 2: by Punk (last edited May 29, 2011 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Punk SA wrote: "Oh thank god--I was wondering where in this series all the accolades would come in, so it's good to know I've only got two more books to go to get there."

I KNOW. Everyone told me how excellent this series was, and like a dolt I started at the very beginning (Falling Free? Gag.) but I kept at it and kept being only mildly entertained, but I am ON BOARD NOW. Actually, "The Mountains of Mourning" which comes right before this is similarly excellent, a really quiet character piece about Miles; no spaceships, but it does a good job of filling the gap between The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game and shows Miles finally displaying some much needed impulse control.

message 3: by SA (new) - rated it 5 stars

SA Do you think it's worth skipping ahead to this and then going back to read the other stuff later? Because Falling Free was okay, but not too impressive, and I'm not sure I'm up for bearing with a couple mediocre books to get to the great ones.

Punk What are you on now? I might suggest picking up Young Miles, which is an omnibus with The Warrior's Apprentice, "The Mountains of Mourning," and The Vor Game. WA was where everything started to come together for me. The Cordelia books are okay -- and really good in parts -- but the pacing is awful.

message 5: by SA (new) - rated it 5 stars

SA I'm on the Cordelia books now--they seem promising but I wonder if they'll be better having read Miles first.

Punk I don't know how much the Miles books would inform your enjoyment of the Cordelia books. Miles' and Cordelia's stories don't overlap much.

It might be worth reading Cordelia's side of things first because she has an outsider's view of Barrayar, whereas Miles takes some of that stuff for granted; he doesn't do a lot of thinking about women's roles in Barrayaran society, for example.