Eddie's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 26 to June 02, 2011

Just like many people wish they could, I do too wish I could add a half star to my ratings. I will give this book a 4.5.

I started off with this book, glued to the pages and then by page 280 or so, I started to ask myself, Am I glued to this because it's kind of like the train wreck I can't peel my eyes away from? This book was laced with various accounts of the horrific, and unbeknown to me, tragedies and horrors that POWs endured from the Japanese during WWII. I did not have a problem with that, whatsoever. What I really started to ask myself was: did Louis Zamperini and his crew aboard the doomed flight of the Green Hornet really encounter ALL of this?

Who knows, right?

Regardless, whether he did encounter ALL of this or not, Louis' story is an incredible one. One that most people, WWII buffs or not, I assume could probably enjoy reading. Well, except for the people who gave it poor reviews here on goodreads already. Not that there are many negative reviews. I did read some of them and I saw why they didn't like it and even thumbed up some of their reviews. But once I finished the last page of this book, I realized I learned a lot. Whether this story was possibly exaggerated at some points or not. There are so many things you hear in regards to WWII, but I very rarely hear anything in regards to the POWs captured by Japan. But at the same time, I've never really been the WWII buff. Lately, I think that is changing, though. I've come across multiple things in the last couple weeks related to the topic that have utterly fascinated me. And I am really anxious to continue to know more of this troubled and also astounding period of our world. Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken has just amplified it even more so for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

05/30/2011 page 169
34.0% "Ok, I've been slow to get on and done with this book. Not because I don't like it, far from that, I am HOOKED to this story! It's been more of a "I have had too much on my to do list" situation that has made me read this book at a much slower pace than liked. So far, the hype lives up to this book. Some parts, especially in the most recent chapters, have even left me feeling slightly panicked!"
05/31/2011 page 250
50.0% "So far, this book is heart-wrenching, astonishing, addictive, and mesmerizing."
06/01/2011 page 285
57.0% "Ok, as much as I was complimenting my reading of this book in earlier progress reviews, I'm getting a little skeptical now and am starting to wonder how much of this is actually true. Im sure beneath the possible exaggerations up to this point there is definitely truth behind it, but Louis Zamperini would have to be a goddamn immortal to endure ALL the things he has endured up to this page. Continue I shall, though"

Gloria Eddie, I'm totally enamored with the WWII era. If you haven't seen Ken Burns documentary on it, check it out! It'll probably take you a week of solid watching, but SO worth it. Great review! :)

Eddie Oh, thanks for that recommendation and I will definitely check that out ASAP. Thanks for the compliment as well, Gloria. Hope all is well, btw.

Djdixie Excellent awful story. I had to skip some of the abuse descriptions or I couldn't have finished the book.