Joy's Reviews > Divine by Mistake

Divine by Mistake by P.C. Cast

2711937
Apr 13, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy-magic, contemporary-fiction, public-reads, paranormal-romance
Recommended to Joy by: Vanessa
Read from April 13 to July 21, 2011

This is my first P.C. Cast novel, I have to admit I started this on April 13, but I only finished it today. I read the first few pages until the part where she's looking around the auction when my interest waned. So I let the months pass by reading others in line, then I wanted to take a break from reading erotica so as recommended by Vanessa, I decided to read it again from the start and willed myself to stick with it.

That's exactly what I did and I'm a goner after that. The story just sucked me in, I was really amused with Shannon as Rhea, and I was very interested in her out-of-body experiences. I loved the magic that surrounded Partholon, and I liked the way she handled things well in this new world. I have to admit this is the most bizarre pairing I've ever read about, a human and a centaur. I was flabbergasted of course! Then the author wrote about it really fluently, highlighting the tradition of handfasting (betrothal) between Epona's Beloved, and the High Shaman.

Though I'm not familiar with Epona, I understand this story is fused with mythology, which I'm really interested about. I liked the concept of a parallel world, and the characters were very real to me, even though they're conjured up by one imaginative author. I felt the love grow between Rhea and ClanFintan and I envied their luxurious baths. I also liked how Rhea made friends with Victoria, the lead Huntress of the centaurs.

It was quite a lengthy novel but I didn't find anything dull once Shannon was thrust into Partholon. I've read a lot of time travel stories and this one is the funniest. There's friendship, love, war, love of horses (I laughed out loud about the bestiality quip). Another thing that piqued my interest is Partholon being a matriarchal society, women are respected and put on a pedestal, but the men do not seem weak because of it.

I felt at home in this world and I'm currently reading the next, "Divine by Choice"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine by Mistake.

07/18/2011
29.0% "Finally continued it"
07/21/2011
100.0% "Finished it! Finally!"
show 2 hidden updates…