Will Wight's Reviews > The Time Paradox

The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer

Apr 13, 11

Read in July, 2008

First of all, I'm a huge fan of the Artemis Fowl series. I bought every installment of the series on the day of release except the first, including this one...and The Time Paradox is the first one to disappoint me. But it does so in a huge way.

My primary issue with the book is that the author leaves the plot behind almost completely in order to beat readers over the head with his animal rights agenda. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for animal rights. But there are places in this book where the author might as well have written "And let's leave Artemis Fowl alone for a moment, dear reader, while we address something close to my heart: animal rights. Animals have been abused for too long..."

And on and on, for pages. Now, Colfer doesn't actually do anything quite that obvious (though he comes close). The worst part for me, and the part at which I almost stopped reading altogether, was when an evil past incarnation of Artemis threatened to kill a lemur and drive the entire species to extinction. After the scene is over and he walks away unscathed, his bodyguard Butler worriedly asks "You wouldn't really have done it, would you Artemis?" Presumably under the impression that an evil genius who will steal billions of dollars and fund illicit international organizations under the table would not be willing to drive a small subspecies of lemur extinct. This is on top of the fact that Butler is a relentless killer, who would execute an innocent civilian on Artemis' order and then whistle cheerily while he hid the body.

He doesn't mind killing people, but he apparently gets squeamish when it's an arboreal primate on the endangered list.

And the even worse part about it is there's no escaping Colfer's message. It's so prevalent and unsubtle that you can't ignore it, and it just keeps coming. It's not one scene: it's the entire book.

When I re-read Artemis Fowl now, I try to pretend this book never existed.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Paradox.