Kirs's Reviews > The Unconsoled

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

Apr 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-books-read
Read from April 10 to 22, 2011

Well... that was weird. While I'm not sure I liked the book, I also couldn't stop reading the thing, so maybe that's the deciding factor. Ishiguro's prose style is dreamlike, a sort of lulling rhythm, which works perfectly for a book where you feel like you are in someone's never ending nightmare. I could relate to Ryder's predicament because I've had all of those nightmares: your house that isn't your house; geography of the town you live in inexplicably changed; walls or people or something blocking your every move; having a major performance and realizing you haven't practiced a lick; attending a dinner party in your pajamas.

For the most part I find Ishiguro to be very readable, but he tends towards the tedious just a bit here. There's very little deviation from that dreamlike quality and I could only take so much of the never-ending dialogue of some of the characters (Gustav most often). It's a tense, occasionally infuriating and difficult book. And although Ryder is imminently more likable tha Christopher Banks of When We Were Orphans, Ryder still isn't a guy you are particularly rooting for. Probably only for the most hardcore of Ishiguro fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unconsoled.