Adele Griffin's Reviews > The Position

The Position by Meg Wolitzer

2052664
Apr 15, 11

Read from April 13 to 15, 2011

The premise of this book is so hugely comic that i was ready for anything. I love Wolitzer, whose fiction can elicit complicated reaction-- you are laughing so hard at the one-liners, the zingers, the flat-out brazen hilariousness of her observations, that the wisdom of the book is the quiet force. She is a major player, if she were humorless she'd win all the lit prizes, but i think it's lucky for everyone that she embraced her comic genius and become beloved instead.

So what she is really saying here about the impact the sexual mores of the 70s on the next generation is fascinating, when i remembered to be thinking about that, though I spent most of the book just delighting in the social observations and great lines. She creates such delightful, bizarre, idiosyncratic characters in the Mellows, and I remember loving her (unrelated) characters in Surrender Dorothy in a way that I'd forgotten about until this book. It's been a few years since I'd read anything by MW, and I picked this because her voice just crackles, and i knew it wouldnt fail me, and it didnt. brilliant and entertaining, it radiates charm and energy. A must-finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Position.