Bookmom's Reviews > The President's Vampire

The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth

U_50x66
Apr 16, 11

Nathaniel Cade is a one hundred forty year old vampire, stronger and more powerful than most, blood oathed to the seated president of the USA and the best interests of the country. The average citizen doesn’t know vampires exist. A well-established group with footholds in high political positions and other government organizations believe the end justifies the means, taking it to a whole new level by replacing humanity with, well, something else that is highly contagious. Cade has seen these before over the years, and they’ve evolved. He and his political handler, Zach Barrows, must figure out who is behind it, where the creatures are coming from and keep them from spreading.

As a reader of the Urban Fantasy genre, I was at first a little taken aback by the lack of personality that Cade has. Until you get to know him, he seems to come across as somewhat robotic, but that gets explained. And not a reader of political thrillers or conspiracy books, it was especially confusing at first with some of the terms for groups that weren’t quite what I thought. I would imagine both of these would have been non-issues in this book if I’d already read Blood Oath.

But just over a third of the way through the book I got hooked and the things that were bothering me were overtaken by the appreciation for the story. The book is made up from a lot of small segments, with action taking place not only in different parts of the world from the perspective of those involved or affected, but also in history. The author does a great job of mixing these segments to feed us background and information from a number of sources in pieces that slowly builds the overall picture.

I don't have the means to compare it with other political thrillers, the closest I’ve come to anything like that are books by Robin Cook that I haven’t read in a long time. But like those books, the author makes the situation seem possible and leaves you wondering what exactly is being kept from us. The story contains plenty of action.

ARC reviewed for Library Thing

This review is being amended because I'm now over halfway through reading Blood Oath, the first book in the series. I'm happy to say that the things that first bothered me in The President's Vampire are handled in Blood Oath. And while it's not necessary to read Blood Oath first, I highly recommend it. You get how Cade became a vampire and blood-oathed to the president, Zach's story as he's partnered up with Cade, and an explanation for Shadow Company and The Company as well as a few other things mentioned in this second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President's Vampire.