Ken's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from June 30 to July 03, 2011

This book really spoke to me. At first it seemed an over-the-top distopian commentary, but as I got deeper into it, I realized the point the author is making is quite relevant. The core of the dysfunctional part of the society presented in the book is less that people aren't allowed to read books, and more that people are never given time to think. I love the speed minimums on the highway instead of speed maximums, so that you don't have time to drive slow and ponder anything. And I think we do have too many distractions today, preventing us from thinking as clearly as we should. Case in point. I went to read this book at Borders Cafe. I thought it would be a great place to read. I love the idea of a cafe in a bookstore. But the piped in music was so distracting, not to mention the loud drink mixers, I couldn't concentrate on the story, and with Bradbury's florid prose, you really need to. I don't know how other people manage to read with all that racket; they seem to, but I wonder if they're comprehending at the level they could be. So anyway I left the cafe and went to a local park, and that was wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.