Annette's Reviews > The House With a Clock in Its Walls

Aug 05, 08

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, scifi-fantasy
Recommended for: kids age 9-12
Read in August, 2008

Devin and I listened to this one on cassette a few years ago and we both liked it and thought that Preston would like it too so now I'm reading to him. I'll let you all know how it goes!

This book is a chilling tale and normally I don't like that sort of thing, but John Bellairs is such a talented writer that I enjoyed it anyway. Although there are magical witches and wizards, haunted houses and ghosts, this is not another Harry Potter wanna-be. This book was written long before Harry potter and therefore John Bellairs was not influenced by J.K. Rowling. He has his own unique style and sense of humor. Some may be turned off by it because it is written in an old-fashioned way and moves at a slower pace than a lot of the more modern suspense-type books. I personally enjoyed it and do recommend it for a fun read.

The recommended age for this book is 9-12, I agree that, that age group is probably old enough to handle it. Parents who have children who get scared by creepy-type things should use caution, this book may cause some more sensitive children to have nightmares.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House With a Clock in Its Walls.