Karendenice's Reviews > Voluntary Madness: My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin

Voluntary Madness by Norah Vincent

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011, 2011-52-book-challenge, library-borrowed, non-fiction
Read from April 09 to 12, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I have no earthly idea why I picked up this book at the library and I mostly wish that I had just passed by it. It was my impression that she was going to deal with mental illness from an investigative journalistic point of view. In some ways she has and she has brought up some very good points, especially about how the mentally ill are treated in public facilities, which are not so good. IMO I believe that she has written this book without enough knowledge about mental disease. She describes the patients but IMO she doesn't totally understand what each individual is actually going through in their life. I believe that she doesn't feel like she belongs there. And maybe she really doesn't because she is obviously not as sick as they are. Even in the second facility she tries very hard to set herself apart from everyone else. She talks about how bad the drugs that some of these people take are. And in a lot of ways she is right. No one really knows the long-term health problems that some of these drugs may end up causing. However she does take Prozac and seems to believe, by the end of the book, that she can heal herself. If that's the case why does she take the medicine. If she is so against drugs, why does she take them? I believe this book was more of a memoir about this period of her life than and informative book on mental health.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voluntary Madness.