Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: gift, 2011-release, debut-authors, read-2012, favourites, author-love, dystopian, desperate-for-reread
Recommended for: Fans of dystopia, stubborn-as-heck heroines & smouldering jerky male love interests
Read from January 12 to 18, 2012, read count: 1

5/5

Oh my--what a keeper! Review to come in future.

It's going to take a couple of days for me to stop speaking/reading in Saba's voice as I read other books. I cain't help it!

Random jumble-thoughts:

Amazing world building and I just love the names of the places, and how easily I was able to SEE them in my mind. Highly imaginative and I really FELT the heat (though that may be by the fact that it's been hot these past few days here).

Saba's character had the potential to be extremely annoying, but it's hard not to warm up to her. She's got incomparable spunk, stubborn as a mule but she wants things done. She's a doer, she ain't got time to rest--she's got her twin brother to save! Moreover she's fiercely loyal toward her family, and that's all she's ever wanted, to live a comfortable live with her family.

Emmi and Nero! :)

And of course Jack! I won't go all gushy on him, since he's got so many secrets that prevent me from trusting him completely. I can say with confidence that a lot of my favourite moments included the exchanges between Jack and Saba. Kind of reminds me of KERRICK and AVRY (Touch of Power, Maria V. Snyder), and the likes of those kinds of love-hate relationships where they berate the other but finally get together.

Masterful writing style that takes a while getting used to, but once you're there, you're there for good. Picturesque. It's so easy to see these events unfold on the big screen . . . though I can count a couple of things I'm not looking forward to seeing ('hellwurms', anyone?).

I love that there is no cliffhanger! There is a lead-up to the sequel, but I'm not squirming in my seat waiting for it. All in all, I'm completely awe-struck by this debut novel. I guess I ain't done with the dystopia genre--more specifically, with new additions to my dystopian-series-to-hang-onto mental list.

~ crazy king who addresses himself, the King, in third person. damn insane, he is.
~ I'm crossing my fingers that the film does justice to the book!
~ the freedom fighters sound freaking awesome! i hope we get to see them again in the next book...
~ I like saying 'Tonton' because it sounds funny. :P Does it mean something...significant in another language?
~ I'm still not used to the RH (#2) cover... At least my covers will match.
~ Holy crap this was my 9th book this month ALREADY! I wanted to finish this 2 days ago, but MY GOD this book is freaking long! Even though I wanted to continue reading, my eyes just hurt and I needed to sleep. -_-

Quotes:

TK
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.

01/12/2012 page 43
9.0% "Yay! So Saba and Emmi are off, never to return to Silverlake. Saba's going to find Lugh and avenge their Pa's death. It's written in the stars. I can't NOT read this book out loud!"
01/15/2012 page 143
31.0% "Gah! Did not see THAT coming. Emmi's got intuition DOWN. Oh, Nero . . . faithful as ever. I'm more than used to the prose by now. I stopped where I stopped so as to torture me. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!?!?!"
01/15/2012 page 213
46.0% "OHMYGOD! I just left at a freaking intense place, when *spoilers* Saba goes back to save Jack from the Cooler."

Gabrielle Carolina We're like at the same place.

Cass -  Words on Paper Haha! I read a little more last night, until I couldn't keep my eyes open. I don't know how people can read things in one sitting. As of this moment I'm at p. 264.

So good! It's giving me similar feelings to BIRTHMARKED, a dystopian I really really liked.

Gabrielle Carolina Cass - wrote: "Haha! I read a little more last night, until I couldn't keep my eyes open. I don't know how people can read things in one sitting. As of this moment I'm at p. 264.

So good! It's giving me similar ..."

Birthmarked is coming in the mail! : )