D.C. Menard's Reviews > The Apprentice

The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

Apr 12, 2011

Read from April 12 to 13, 2011

Just like the surgeon, The Apprentice kept my attention the entire way through. Which I was actually quite surprised about, considering Jane Rizzoli, the main character of the series, was one of my least favorite characters in The Surgeon. I went into this book worrying that I wouldn't like it because of my dislike for the main character. Instead, by showing us more about her, and letting us into her head for the entire book, rather than the snippets of the last one, I grew to respect her, and maybe even like her a little bit. Although, I still didn't connect with her. Jane and I, unfortunately, don't see eye to eye.

A word of caution, before I go any further. The images this book produces are extremely disturbing. If you cannot stomach the thought of Necrophilia, do not proceed! If, however, you can stomach it, it is more than worth the read!

This book holds many of the same characters from The Surgeon (including the killer, though he's not the only one!!) although some of the more disagreeable characters are backed off of (Thank God...) And you get to see much more of Jane Rizzoli's life. How she ended up the way she is. And, I feel at least, that she becomes more beautiful to the beholder, even if her looks haven't changed. I think it's because of the details we're not privy to.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre (not including, of course, anyone who might be offended or sickened by the acts of brutality depicted within it's pages) My one complaint would be that I wanted to know more about Dr. Isles. I'm hoping that come in the later books, which I do plan on reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apprentice.

04/12/2011 page 106