Katie's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Sep 15, 11

bookshelves: signed, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from April 15 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

Totally awesome! I loved this book! You do not have to be a child of the 80's or a computer-playing, arcade-going geek to appreciate it, but it would probably help. Enough people have been raving about it that I don't have much to add. Ernest Cline is my new hero for using all his obscure 80's knowledge to make money, and he deserves it. I'll be buying a copy for myself when it comes out :-)

GAME OVER

I also wanted to add that one of the first things Ernest Cline bought with his book advance money was a Delorean and then installed a flux capacitor. He lives in Austin, where I am also from, but I have yet to spot the car...I'll keep you updated on my search.

NEW GAME

I have now met both the author and the car. Mr. Cline was super nice and funny, a guy who enjoys geeking out. The car is awesome, duh, with a stuffed gremlin on the dash and an ECTO(some number here) license plate. I'm not trying to be secretive, I just forgot...maybe 66. I rarely would recommend an audio book over the real thing...but Will Wheaton reads this so it might be worth it. Ernest (I'm pretty sure it's Ernie, but that sounds too familiar and Mr. Cline so adult-like) told us a funny story how Wil Wheaton didn't know he was in the book, and he reads them aloud without reading them first when recording, so it was pretty funny when Wil comes upon himself in the book.

That's finally it, no revisiting this review...just go out and get it already!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes Katie Liked

Ernest Cline
“I watched a lot of YouTube videos of cute geeky girls playing '80s cover tunes on ukuleles. Technically, this wasn't part of my research, but I had a serious cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish that I can neither explain nor defend.”
Ernest Cline, Ready Player One