Monique Gerken's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

Jun 02, 07

bookshelves: would-recommend-to-friends
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 2007

This is my favorite book of all time! It is my goal in life to have everyone read this. There wasn't a dull moment and it keeps you guessing.

"The time is the 1950s; the place, Barcelona. Daniel Sempere, the son of a widowed bookstore owner, is 10 when he discovers a novel, The Shadow of the Wind, by Julián Carax. The novel is rare, the author obscure, and rumors tell of a horribly disfigured man who has been burning every copy he can find of Carax's novels. The man calls himself Laín Coubert-the name of the devil in one of Carax's novels. As he grows up, Daniel's fascination with the mysterious Carax links him to a blind femme fatale with a "porcelain gaze," Clara Barceló; another fan, a leftist jack-of-all-trades, Fermín Romero de Torres; his best friend's sister, the delectable Beatriz Aguilar; and, as he begins investigating the life and death of Carax, a cast of characters with secrets to hide. Officially, Carax's dead body was dumped in an alley in 1936. But discrepancies in this story surface. Meanwhile, Daniel and Fermín are being harried by a sadistic policeman, Carax's childhood friend. As Daniel's quest continues, frightening parallels between his own life and Carax's begin to emerge. Ruiz Zafón strives for a literary tone, and no scene goes by without its complement of florid, cute and inexact similes and metaphors (snow is "God's dandruff"; servants obey orders with "the efficiency and submissiveness of a body of well-trained insects"). Yet the colorful cast of characters, the gothic turns and the straining for effect only give the book the feel of para-literature or the Hollywood version of a great 19th-century novel."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rula Yes. Carlos Ruiz Zafon, I think, he cares about the characters and I love the way he creates the plot. The characters are amazing and I think that the plot may be twisted but it is wonderful to learn how Daniel finds a book called The Shadow of the Wind and goes on a magical quest, which I think, I love the way he asks different people questions if they know who Julian Carax is. Wonderful plot and great characters.

Frank Shedd also my favorite book of all time

Teresa I read this book several years ago and it's still the first book I recommend if I am ever asked. I wish everyone would read it, too.