John Pearson's Reviews > Devil's Lair

Devil's Lair by David Wisehart

Apr 26, 2011

Read from April 12 to 23, 2011

I saw some publicity for this book, comparing it to Dante's Inferno, and my first thought was, It's been done. The great sci-fi author Larry Niven wrote a book (and a sequel!) about a modern-day man journeying to hell, descending through the levels, crossing the circles, and escaping through the ice.

But Wisehart's Devil's Lair is a work of greatness all its own. It is not adrenaline, action-adventure, sci-fi, like Niven's work. It's a whole lot more character-driven. It fleshes out the lives of these characters before delving into the descent and hell-trip itself. And that's what makes it so enjoyable.

Another reviewer took away some points because of all of the untranslated Latin in the book. I agree that it would have been better if these quotes HAD been translated into English. I disagree that it took away from the story. (It DID make me gloss over those sections, though.)

I highly recommend Devil's Lair, and for the low price of 99 cents, it's truly a steal.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Lair.

04/12/2011 "This book is fantastic! And they haven't even started the descent into hell yet!!"