Tra-Kay's Reviews > The Complete Works of Théophile Gautier, Volume I: Mademoiselle de Maupin

The Complete Works of Théophile Gautier, Volume I by Théophile Gautier

Aug 16, 2014

bookshelves: fiction, thebook
Read from April 12 to May 08, 2011

Melodramatic, fanciful, fervent, excessive.

One of the best damn books I ever read.

"The great day having come, twenty-four criers on horseback, wearing the publisher's livery with his address on breast and back, bearing in their hands banners on both sides of which would be embroidered the title of the novel, and each proceeded by a tambourine and by kettledrums, should go through the streets of the city and, stopping in squares and at the crossings of streets, they should proclaim in a loud and intelligible voice: 'It is to-day, not yesterday or to-morrow, that is published the admirable, inimitable, divine and more than divine novel of the famous Théophile Gautier, 'Mademoiselle de Maupin', which Europe, and even the other parts of the world and Polynesia have been impatiently expecting for more than a year past. It is being sold at the rate of five hundred copies a minute, and new editions appear every half-hour. A picket of municipal guards is stationed at the shop door to keep back the crowd and prevent disorder in any shape."
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Works of Théophile Gautier, Volume I.