Jennifer's Reviews > Memento Nora

Memento Nora by Angie Smibert

May 03, 11

Read from April 12 to 13, 2011

Memories are a large part of our lives, but what would you do if you lived in a world that wanted you to forget? Would you take a pill to wipe out a memory that is more like a nightmare?

“Memento Nora” is a dystopian novel set in the not-so-distant future, where terrorism is alive and well. The city is plagued with terrorist acts. Nora witnesses one of these bombings and the memory is almost more than she can bear. This nightmarish memory leads Nora to her first appointment at the local Therapeutic Forgetting Center. The visit changes Nora’s life forever. Does she take the pill and leave the memory of the bombing behind or rebel against it?

Dystopian novels have become a fast favorite of mine. I found the characters of “Memento Nora” to be interesting and likable. Nora’s rebellious nature was something I really didn’t see coming. She and her friend Micah made a great pair, each growing stronger as the plot unfolded.

The world building is important in dystopian novels, and I felt that the descriptions of Nora’s world were definitely lacking. While I enjoyed the overall story, it would have been much more intense with a vivid image of the city, the Therapeutic Centers, as well as Nora’s father and his employer.

Overall, “Memento Nora” was a nice and entertaining dystopian that is quite similar to “Delirium”. While I wanted to know more about the world itself, I still enjoyed Smibert’s writing style. If you enjoy a fast paced entertaining read, “Memento Nora” is definitely a book to add to your list. I look forward to seeing where the story goes from here, and maybe a better image of Nora’s world will be in the cards.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memento Nora.

04/12/2011 page 50