Misfit's Reviews > The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

Apr 22, 11

Read from April 12 to 18, 2011

Author Kimberly Cutter recounts the short life of Jeanne d'Arc (Jehanne here), The Maid of Orléans and later canonized as Saint Joan of Arc. This is one of those too complicated bits of history to try to explain in a review, and Wik can most definitely do it better than I can.

Joan's history is a fascinating one, and I've been eyeing novels on her for some time, so I was thrilled when this showed up on Net Galley. However, the book I read was very dry and the history itself is hard to follow - there seems to be an assumption the reader is well versed on the period. When I read a historical novel, I do so with the expectation that I will be educated and entertained at the same time, I don't expect to have to *read up* on the historical events before I begin the novel.

The chapters were very short for the most part and I found this distracted from the overall flow of the story. I also didn't find any emotional connection with the characters, particularly Joan. I did not pick up on any grand passion nor religious fervor for her Godly mission. Overall, this was a dry and slightly disappointing read as it currently stands, but perhaps a bit of editing and fleshing out of characters can raise the bar a bit higher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid.

04/13/2011
04/14/2011
45.0% "Pretty underwhelming so far."
04/15/2011
52.0% "This is so tedious."
04/18/2011
95.0% "It will be over soon." 2 comments

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly When I read a historical novel, I do so with the expectation that I will be educated and entertained at the same time, I don't expect to have to *read up* on the historical events before I begin the novel.

This, so much! Unless maybe, maybe it's a time period that's done to death, I want the book to make sense to someone who doesn't know anything about the period going in.

Random fact: I used to nail all the history questions in quiz bowl. My teammates would ask me where I learned all that stuff, and the answer was usually "trashy novels." ;)

Misfit Unless maybe, maybe it's a time period that's done to death, I want the book to make sense to someone who doesn't know anything about the period going in.

Definitely not with the Tudors for example I think we all know the basics by now. Joan or Arc and the 100 years war, not so much.

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie It doesn't sound like you enjoyed yourself reading this book. I looked at it b/c it was available on Kindle. Have you checked out An Army of Angels: A Novel of Joan of Arc? I hope that is good since I have it! Not yet read....

message 8: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 11, 2011 11:15PM) (new) - added it

Misfit No, I haven't seen that. I've always wanted to read the one Mark Twain wrote on her.

message 6: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Hmm, I didn't know about that one.

Misfit Supposedly he felt it was his best work.

message 4: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Interesting.

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Chrissie wrote: "It doesn't sound like you enjoyed yourself reading this book. I looked at it b/c it was available on Kindle. Have you checked out An Army of Angels: A Novel of Joan of Arc? I hope tha..."

Started to read that one, but I wasn't in the mood for a book that describes every little thing. It's very descriptive in very tiny print. :-\

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 12, 2011 08:46AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie Joan of Arc is the book by Mark Twain! I in fact did have it on my shelves but had forgotten. I have sampled it on Kindle. Yes, the text is beautiful, but maybe a bit dated. The sample was short since much was taken up by an introduction, prologue, etc. I am very tempted. It is sort of winding..... but I think that is just b/c it is the very beginning.

PS It is free at Gutenberg.

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Karla, unfortunately I have already purchased it. But Mark Twain's is free so I can read that instead. The two balance out. :0)