Stephanie's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from January 21 to 23, 2012

Another good one by John Green. Overall, not as great as Paper Towns, in my opinion, but still a great one. It embodies the awkward beginnings of starting a school that you live at. I could relate to it, but not in the high school way, but in the sense of moving to college and getting a random roommate. Not all of it was believable for me, which was sort of a bummer because I have come to expect to be able to believe Green's works, or at least admit that what happened to be possible.
As always, I enjoyed the voice and the fact that the main character is just trying to make it and figure out his life.
I like that Green has an amazing way of writing about the same topics, but not in the way of Jodi Picoult. Where Jodi Picoult's books follow the same pattern to the point that you can figure out what is going to happen within a few chapters, Green is able to pick different characters and move through their paths of their lives but still write it in a fresh way.
Overall, a good read, but not my favorite by him.
3.6/4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

01/21/2012 page 18

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I greatly enjoy John Green!

Stephanie Ari wrote: "I greatly enjoy John Green!"

He's just so good!

message 3: by Ari (last edited Jan 25, 2012 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Looking for Alaska is my favorite of his though, I think. At the same time, though, I think I'm forgetting one of his books that I REALLY enjoyed, I just can't remember.
Paper Towns was really good too.
Have you read all of his books?