Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > The Part Time Vegan: 201 Yummy Recipes That Put the Fun in Flexitarian

The Part Time Vegan by Cherise Grifoni

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, cookbook
Read in April, 2011

When I saw this book up for review, I became really excited! I've been a vegetarian for close to 13 years, and I've never had a problem without meat. Unfortunately, though, I've tried several times to cut out dairy products and my body doesn't do well. I don't know what I'm leaving out, because I'm not a nutritionist, but I can't seem to do it in a healthy manner. I strongly have the desire to cut out dairy products, though, and I thought this book could help me along a bit, or at least do it "part-time" as the title of the book suggests.
I was so disappointed. It became clear very quickly that this book wasn't what I was expecting. I was hoping for more down to earth recipes, and ingredients like beans and natural products. It seems like almost all of the recipes use ingredients like soy, or seitan, or nutritional yeast or some type of "fake meat". I've eat soy for years, but I've began to recently question how healthy all these processed soy foods are. My body has actually been giving me warning signs that it's not as healthy as it seems. I'm trying to cut them out of my family's diet and replace it with healthier products. This cookbook didn't help out with that goal. I do want to give the recipes some credit, though. You can use other ingredients to replace the soy, but then what's the point of it being a vegan cookbook when you have to add dairy products back in? There are SOME recipes that fit what I was looking for, but I really had to weed through to find them. I truly think if you are already a vegan and you use these types of ingredients, you'll enjoy this cookbook.
Another complaint I have is the language. It's a cookbook! Why the need to use profanity?! I know this isn't a Christian book or anything, but again, it's a cookbook and totally inappropriate.
There's also no pictures. It may just be me, but I like to have pictures with my cookbook recipes. I don't guess they are absolutely necessary, but I highly prefer pictures.
I really hate that I seem to be bashing this book, but I was just really diappointed.

*I received a copy of this book for review in exchange for my honest opinion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Part Time Vegan.