Byron Kidd's Reviews > 2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake

2 by Jake Adelstein

Apr 18, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 12 to 18, 2011

After the March 11 earthquake and tsumani in norther Japan I spent many a night on Twitter with the editor and authors of this book riding out the aftershocks and sharing information. There were so many stories that could have been shared from that first weekend alone and this book does a great job of capturing a small number of those, written by regular people who had their lives changed the moment the shaking began at 2:46 on March 11, 2011.

The only criticism I have is that the majority of stories are written by authors who were in Tokyo and even further south at the time of the quake. Compared to those in the north we all got off very, very lightly indeed, and while we all experienced this frightening event, the book recounts a similar story numerous times by people far from the crisis whose biggest inconvenience was an evening without public transport. It would have been a 5 star review if there was more variation in the stories, and if they were told by people closer to the actual event.

I encourage you to buy this book from Amazon as 100% of the proceeds go directly to Red Cross for quake relief, even Amazon are not taking their usual profit off the top in this case. Add it to your library and help the victims of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2.