Julie's Reviews > The History of Love

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: 5-star-reads, audiobooks, book-club, fiction
Read from April 12 to 17, 2011

Leo Gursky is old. He is so old that he has written a note that he pins to himself that tells people his name and where he should be buried if they find him dead. Every day, he sends messages to his upstairs neighbor by tapping on the radiator so that they know they are both alive. But when Leo Gursky was young growing up in Poland, he fell in love with a girl named Alma and wrote a book for her called The History of Love. As a Polish Jew in the 1930's, Leo's life is torn apart and he barely escapes the Holocaust to create a new life in New York.

Alma Singer is a teenager in NYC, who was named after a character in The History of Love. Her father has died and she is searching - searching for someone for her mother to fall in love with, searching for a real friend, searching for more memories of her father, and searching for the real story behind The History of Love.

The story jumps around between these 2 narrators, Alma's brother Bird, Zvi Litvinoff, the published author of The History of Love, and excerpts from a very bizarre book. At times, I found myself very lost, not knowing context, characters, or even time and place. But I'm glad I stuck with it. Although there are parts of the story that are improbable, it is beautifully told. This is defintely a book that shines in audio. Narrated by different people, the parts told as Leo Gurksy (read by George Guidall) are perfect. He is cantankerous, crochety, funny and very real. tap tap.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Love.