Drew Barth's Reviews > The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

The Invisibles, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Apr 12, 11

Fried My Little Brains, I believe, is appropriate for this.
This is the first of Morrison's Eighties work that I read, Seaguy was the first thing by him I ever saw and still have no idea what to do with that.
Anyway, The Invisibles, according to Grant, who, at the time was feeling the effects of some very strong hash twinkies come on, is about a man, King Mob, and the loss of his girlfriend. But this isn't a normal man, and somewhere along the line he isn't much of a human either but that's later, who deals with things in a normal way, of course not. With this loss, he seeks to turn himself into a Pop-God with a gun.
Yes, that's exactly what it says on the tin.
But, that's later, and this is only the first volume, so let's begin with Dane McGowan, typical little chap in school, a bit brainier than his peers, but still acts like as though he couldn't be bothered. Horrible things put him away, in some strange and remote facility run by something horrid enough that it can't be properly described in word or picture, but is then rescued by King Mob and subsequently dumped in the streets of London. It is here that he meets a homeless man, Tom, who proceeds to, more or less, expand this boys conscious mind with blue mold smoked in a subway tunnel. They take a flying leap, quite literally, into something similarly indescribable, and Dane comes out as one of them, The Invisibles.
It's maddening, it's delightful in every stretch of the words. It's the kind of comic that can't be properly explained with words alone, it needs the visual aspect more than most other works, that just makes it all the more communal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisibles, Vol. 1.