Laura's Reviews > Summer Boys

Summer Boys by Hailey Abbott

Apr 09, 12

Read on April 12, 2011

A few years ago, before I had discovered the joys of internet shopping and book availability really depended on what I could find in - usually department - stores, I really wanted to read this. I never got around to buying it though, because I thought it would be too trashy for my tastes. Now, with the wonderful evolution of ebooks, I picked it up pretty cheaply and gave it a go. So what was the verdict?
Well, it was trashy, but not in a hide-this-somewhere-where-it-won't-embarrass-you-if-someone-finds-it-and-asks-you-ALL-about-it kind of way, just more in a easy going holiday read sort of way. Which is a good thing, if you are after that.
Some of it - like the way it was written and the setting - was reminiscent of the Peaches series by Jodi Lynn Anderson, or the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books, by Ann Brashares, but not quite in the same grade.
The characters were quite likeable and real. They all made mistakes but figured it out in the end. Some things didn't get completely out in the open, in Ella's case, but maybe she will fess up further along in the series?
Still, it was good and one day I will get around to reading the rest of these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Boys.