Lora's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

4632071
Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: lib-audiobooks, aussies-rock-my-world, favorites, quality-ya-fic
Recommended to Lora by: someone should have!
Recommended for: fans of Holocaustic fiction
Read from January 12 to 16, 2012, read count: 1

It's probably fair to say that in all the years of Hitler's reign, no person was able to serve the Führer as loyally as me. A human doesn't have a heart like mine. The human heart is a line, whereas my own is a circle, and I have the endless ability to be in the right place at the right time. The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. Still, they have one thing I envy. Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.

When you decide to write a book, you can never be sure how it will be received. Will people instantly be entraptured by the story your mind has conjured, or will they spit on the cover and rue the day they bought your work? Will any of your books make it on a bestseller list, say, the coveted New York Times? Or, will they end up on a dime store's shelf collecting dust for decades? And, perhaps most importantly, will the words you write touch someone's life at the moment they need it most? Will your story be the balm on a heart that has just been broken? Will a specific sentence from your conscious be the encouragement someone needs to make the toughest decision they've ever had to make?
All dedicated readers know that books - stories - are a powerful thing. They're a relatable friend who'll always be there for you: to comfort, to encourage, to strengthen. This line of thought got me wondering if Markus Zusak had any idea of what a colossal impact his words would have on countless lives.

The Book Thief is the story of Liesel Meminger, a nine-year-old girl whom we shortly see earn her apt epithet. When her adoptive father, Hans Hubermann, begins teaching her how to read, she soon becomes entranced by words and their power. Over the course of several years, Liesel steals many books from the mayor's library as well as other daring locales.
Although Liesel now spends her days trying to discourage Rudy Steiner's interest in kissing her and her nights reading with her papa and listening to him play the accordion, her life before Himmel St. wasn't an easy one. And soon The Book Thief's narrator, Death, lets the reader now that this isn't a story with a happy ending.
But The Book Thief truly is a story of survival in a corrupt world, finding friends and family in unlikely places, and the eventual peace we all hope to find.

I can't imagine a better book to recommend, to give, to receive - than The Book Thief. Liesel's bravery and Hans' dedication to his daughter and Rudy's longing for just one kiss and Death's inner turmoil over the lives he's compelled to take. . . . I'l always remember these characters and their story. I laughed, I cried, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. And I even learned a little German! Mostly curse words, but still.

Equally devastating and unforgettable, The Book Thief is rightfully beloved by many and will be remembered long after my lifetime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

01/13/2012 page 3
27.0% "Really enjoying Zusak's writing."
01/14/2012 page 5
45.0% 2 comments
01/15/2012 page 7
64.0% "Something tells me I won't be able to finish this without the aid of tissues. " 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly (Fantasy4eva) argh. So excited that you're reading this. There are some parts that just had me so emotional. You will know when you read them. Take your time with it. It's a beautiful book. :)

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie This is an amazing book. That is all.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) yesss, So glad you obviously loved it. It has so many quotable and touching moments. <3

Morgan F ooo, I can't wait for your review.

Jasprit beautiful review Lora! This was truly one unforgettable read. So glad you loved it too :)

message 6: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Great review Lora! I keep hearing amazing things about this one. I'll have to pick it up soon!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Amazing review, Lora. Just... Amazing.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Lovely Lora! Your review reminds me yet again that I need to dig this out and read it!

Bill A great review for a great novel

message 10: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Thanks, everyone. :)

@ Sarah & Heidi: You two should definitely give this one a try soon. And if either of you enjoy audiobooks, try the audio version.

Donna  Happy Booker What a brilliant, beautiful review! This makes me want to go re-read The Book Thief again. I agree that the audio version of this was INCREDIBLE! Absolutely one of my all time favorite audio narrations.

message 12: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Thanks, Donna! I think Allan Corduner's voice really added something special to the experience.

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan Sheinwald When Death tells a story, you pay attention!!!

alyssa shanta shaw that is a amazing book

Olivia Loved your review! One of the best ones for this book