Jay's Reviews > Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 01

Kimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: coming-of-age, comic, childish, girly, graphic-novel, japanese, manga, life-lessons, relationships, romance, shojo-manga, slice-of-life, tie-in, waffle
Recommended for: Anyone into young girl comics.
Read from April 12 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

After a Japanese friend recommended this series (the live action show in particular) to me, I did do a bit of research about it before hand and I was really unsure that it would be my cup of tea considering I find I don't get on well with shojo manga (young girl comics). I thought I would still give it a go and I've sadly not been convinced - not by the manga anyway.

I found the main character completely unrealistic. It was like she had been living with absolutely no social interaction at all - her social intelligence was just so extremely lacking, it was very annoying. Surely she has family that actively choose to interact with her and educate her about natural social interactions? The fact she says "Good morning" and actually gets a response from others, really does not tie up well with the impression the story is supposed to show.

Some of this behaviour may be explained in further volumes, but considering I found this first volume an annoying read and rather a bit dull in terms of what actually happens, I don't think I can be bothered to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kimi ni Todoke.

04/12/2011 page 166